Contact Us

Please fill out the form below and our attorney will contact you.



Boise Lawyers Protect Your Rights in Landlord-Tenant Disputes

We offer clear guidance in understanding your property rights and obligations

The relationship between tenant and landlord is not always free of conflict. Sometimes a tenant consistently does not abide by the rules and regulations set forth by a landlord. Our firm has extensive experience dealing with these tense disputes. We have helped Idaho’s landlords protect their right to evict noncompliant tenants for years, and we put our past history of success to work for you. Over the years we have filed thousands of evictions on behalf of individual landlords and property management company clients.

What are some common grounds for eviction of a tenant?

Typically, a tenant can be evicted from a residence for failing to make rent payments or for a clear and demonstrable breach of the terms of the lease. In both cases, a notice of eviction must be delivered to the tenant in person. The tenant has three days to remedy the situation if possible to avoid eviction. After the three-day period, a landlord has the right to begin eviction proceedings in court.

What is the Fair Housing Act?

The Fair Housing Act was established to protect potential renters from discrimination due to:

  • Sex
  • Race
  • Religion
  • Ethnicity
  • Disability
  • Type of family

Discriminating against potential tenants for any of these reasons violates Idaho law. A knowledgeable Idaho real estate firm can defend you against claims of violations of the Fair Housing Act.

What are the rules governing security deposits?

In Idaho there is no rule governing the amount of money that may be demanded as a security deposit. However, there is a law regulating the amount of time a landlord has to either return the security deposit or inform the tenant that the security deposit is not going to be returned. A landlord has only 21 days after the tenant has moved out to do either.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) protects the right to fair public housing

Public housing is available to low-income individuals who meet certain eligibility requirements. Rent for these properties is determined by income, and tenants are entitled to stay in the housing as long as they continue to meet the eligibility requirements. If you have a dispute regarding rent, eligibility or the conditions of public housing, or a tenant has filed a HUD complaint against you as a landlord, our attorneys review your case to inform you of your rights and help you appropriately respond to any HUD complaint.

Remember that HUD entitles tenants to certain rights that landlords must respect:

  • The right to safe and sanitary housing
  • The right to timely repairs following a proper request
  • The right to reasonable written notice of nonemergency entry into a home
  • The right to organize as residents without retaliation
  • The right to post materials in common areas to inform other residents of their rights

What is a reasonable accommodation request?

Federal law mandates that a landlord must be willing to make certain changes in rental policies, practices or services so that a person with a disability is afforded an equal opportunity to enjoy a rental space. In general, a disability is any physical or mental issue that significantly impairs major aspects of an individual’s life.

Examples of disability include:

  • Mental illness
  • AIDS
  • Mental impairment
  • Visual problems
  • Hearing problems

This is not a comprehensive list — a seasoned real estate law firm can provide clear and correct guidance in this area. At Neil Colborn PLLC, we are able to help you properly assess and evaluate reasonable accommodation or modification requests so you can respond appropriately.

Let our attorneys represent you in your dispute with a landlord or tenant

To schedule your appointment, email us or call us at 208.994.3276 today. The attorneys of Neal Colborn PLLC serve clients in the greater Boise area, Ada County and Southeast Idaho, and to meet your needs wherever you are located, we are also licensed in Oregon and Washington, and have a network of contacts throughout Idaho and the Pacific Northwest. Our office is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.